View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 02:58 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'll say that Jesus, if he existed, was probably much cooler than most people deserve today.

Well, taking up a part of your argument you probably never intended... do you seriously have doubts whether a man named Jesus actually existed? Not that he was who he said he was, just that he existed at all? I mean, come on... the amount of historical reference to him is staggering.

We base our entire knowledge of ancient Greek society on a body of firsthand literature that's absurdly small, and never think twice about whether maybe everything we know is completely and totally off (Caligula was insane, you say? Only one document says so.) The number of documents referencing a person named Jesus and the key events in his life is exponentially larger, mostly because it was more recent history.

Lots of people don't believe he was a messiah. Lots of people believe specifics of the stories, like the birth in a stable and sleeping in a manger, are a tall tale. But I really don't see how you can say he didn't exist.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote