View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I agree with Ali and Sweet.
I think lifestyle and surroundings are often more imprtant than living space - if you're a dog lover you will deal with a big dog in a small place. But if said dog never gets to go more than walking pace because it can never be let off the lead it seems a shame for them.

We had a small dog, but she was a terrier/ collie mix and needed a LOT of exercise. Her size was suitable to our house and garden, but her breed was also suitable to our family and surroundings. A family with three active children and a very active father (Dad was still playing cricket in those days and could throw a ball so far only the dog could see it). And we were only on the edge of our estate, from the front and side there was miles of wasteland and arable farmland. We had the time and inclination to take her out for hours (especially in the summer) and did so.

Of course my parents had the sense to forbid us to go into fields with animals in - and never off the lead. I ignored this once and got such a dressing down from Mum that I wished the farmer had seen me and shot me. Never did it again though

I wish they had one of those behavioural programmes for cats. Diz is being a pain in the buttski at the moment - crying the whole time he is shut away. He has everything he needs (including my company usually) and if the door was open he would be fine and settled. But because it's closed he creates like no-one's business.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote