View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I was laughing when I watched a Dr Who film the other day.
Set in 2150, there were still adverts posted onto the sides of buidlings. Posted on with paste I mean. Maybe retro was in vogue that year. For 1966 especially.

And while the men are recruited into labouring for the invading Daleks, women can only hope to be put to work mending clothes in return for food. They of course don't have the benefits of being fed by the Daleks, who serve up portions of pills on paper plates on their ship. Which go into a waste disposal chute which leads directly to the outside. Very bad for the planet, but handy for escaping humans.

When I had to write about the future I wrote about the world being flooded and people having to live on the seabed, the remaining cities having been over-run with crime. I included video phones of course, but everyone had expected those for years. I also included something like a Replicator - I hadn't watched Star Trek but the idea of instant food without preparation is a fairly universal concept.

Oh and I had what would now be called a Lazy River running around the periphery of my undersea dwelling. I'd never seen nor heard of one, but the vague idea was it powered the place, but I could also just use it for fun. This is less about seeing into the future and more about loving the idea of not having to swim.

I was 10.