View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 03:18 AM   #186
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Awright -- from Cookingforengineers.com, Cream-of-Mushroom-Soup

This one has measures in metric as well as Yankee and features two of the big fatties: it's got both whole milk and a stick of butter in it, and some heavy cream so we gotta find a means of reducing these. Some recipes dispense with the cream, but I'm picking this one as a good candidate for fat reduction. And they stuck a leek in there too along with the onions -- the curious attractions just never end. Well, test it on a Welsh Nationalist next March maybe, for St. David's Day. We might try halving the butter and see what happens, and cutting the heavy cream half and half with nonfat yoghurt, blending the two into a thickish fluid and adding to the soup. I really don't know what changing skim milk for whole milk would do to or for a soup. Rigid experimental protocol would be doing a batch with each variation.

As you can see, I think we're going to have to experiment for ourselves. Hey, it gives a well rounded perspective to be both the mad scientist and the guinea pig. For tried, true and trustworthy, consider this: this guy's tried it, is quite talkative about how he evolved the recipe, and he seems really to like it.

Which OT reminds me I'm still rather looking around for vegetarian lentil soup recipes that aren't insipid. I'm very confident with my meaty lentil soup, but veggie lentil soups I've had... well, I want those minutes of my life back, dang it.

So, 'Fobble, no likee Tuna Casserole? Me likee tuna sushi, regular, yellowfin, and maguro. For the totally sashimi/sushi newbie, tuna sushi is how I would introduce them to raw fish.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 09-25-2007 at 04:07 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote