View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #1555
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

He isn't going to learn from it, he seems to have made that abundantly clear. primarily, because he doesn't actually understand what it was about that comment that stepped over the line.

I commented earlier that this came after a string of anti-queer comments. Setting aside the question of what is or isn't hate speech, or of what constitutes censorship, I find nasty homophobic comments intolerably irritating.

It's funny though. Because so often you and I are on different sides of this argument, Infi.

On those occasions when I am the one saying, let's not ban this person they haven't done anything so very wrong, and they seem to have genuine mental health issues, I am accused of being a bleeding heart, self-appointed newbie defender. Yet here we are swapping things arounfd, and now I am a pitchfork-waving peasant who's making a mountain out of a molehill because I advocated a ban.

I don't know quite what you mean by 'what is PC at the moment' but I've always had a fairly consistent position on hatespeech and bigotry.

This wasn't a single stupid comment. It was the culmination of a series of increasingly bigoted comments. Can't recall who said it now, but I agree that this is a time where 'true colours' have been shown. The views that lie behind this latest (and over the line) comment have clearly been there all along.

From what JBK has posted since, he has no real understanding of why this might be a problem.

I no longer advocate a total ban. I think a lot of the points made by you and others, particularly with regard to fairness hold true. Likewise the fact that JBK has been very open about his mental health and this may well be a factor in his interactions.

But I do slightly resent the way objections to this poster have been characterised. It seems to me, if I find myself defending someone, it is because I am weak-willed and feel somehow compelled to place myself in the defender role and take some imagined moral highground....yet if I am the one advocating a ban, it is because I am weak-willed and feel somehow compelled to take the PC road and take some imagined moral high-ground.

What actually may be closer to the truth is that sometimes what someone does seems intolerably irritating to you, but not to me. And other times what someone does is intolerably irritating to me, but not to you.

[eta] Didn't mean that quite as snarky as it reads btw. Yo still mah homegurl.:p

Last edited by DanaC; 04-25-2012 at 05:54 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote