View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Cloud

Totally normal. Your skin is reacting to being wounded, and redness, swelling, and tenderness--all normal. Bumps tend to come and go during the healing process too. You only have to worry if it becomes really, really painful, hot and oozes pus (pus--not lymph (i.e., "crusties").

Industrials are difficult to heal because 1) it's cartilage, and cartilage piercings are a bitch; and 2) the length of the bar makes it prone to being knocked around, which you want to avoid; ETA and 3) there's no blood supply to the cartilage.

Best thing you can do is your sea salt soaks. 1/4 teaspoon pure sea salt (no iodine, no anti-caking agents!) to 8 oz water; heat in microwave until hot (not too hot!); lean your ear into a cup and soak for 5 minutes, then rinse with clear water (or shower). Do this twice a day during the first couple of weeks, then once a day or as needed. Wash with mild soap (special antimicrobial soap called Satin or Provon is best, but you can use any diluted mild liquid soap that your body likes--not Dial!). Do not twist, rotate, or move it to clean!

This is basic aftercare. Don't panic! If you have any more questions about this, let me know--this is my specialty.

Also, I'd like to know--what brand and material is your barbell?

Last edited by Cloud; 02-16-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote