View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #1351
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

That's very interesting, Glatt, now go and take Mrs Glatt out for dinner before she gets insecure.

Okay, back to the trains.

Of course we all know the Freudian sketch of mental structure with the Id, the Ego and the Superego, but just in case I'll give a quick rehash here.
The Id is the set of basic desires for food, pleasure, sex, ego gratification etc etc.
The Superego is the moralising regulator that controls and often forbids access to these pleasures.
The Ego is the mediator and compromise between the two, that tries to satisfy the Id without getting hassled by the Superego too much.

Id = Troublesome Trucks.
Superego = Fat Controller.
Ego = Thomas the Tank Engine.
Thomas is frequently caught between the strict demands of the Fat Controller who orders him to push the Troublesome Trucks around in specific ways, and the Trucks who are always up to self-indulgent mischief. Thomas is often frazzled trying to reconcile these conflicting forces.
There are some claims that one of the reasons that Thomas appeals to kids so much is that they can relate to his situation. Or maybe it is just that little boys like talking trains. Or else that they look like willies, especially when they go into tunnels.

ETA. Ducks is right. I do know some weird shit.