View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #29
Juniper
I know, right?

My first car, really my parents' car but they pretty much let me have it whenever I wanted -- was a 1978 Chevy Caprice. Not a bad car, mind you; it was in good shape, ran well, light blue. But the damn thing was HUGE and I was (am) rather a small person. The dash stuck up real high, so if I just sat on the seat normally to drive it, the best I could do was to see a little bit between the steering wheel and the top of the dash. Yes, I mean THROUGH the steering wheel.

So, if I intended to use this car, that meant I had to sit on cushions, like a booster seat. My dad had these seat pads the doctor had given him for driving after his back surgery; one under me and one for my back.

I thought that was kind of embarrassing! But it beat not having a car to drive.

I totaled it late one night (not my fault - no one hurt) and my parents decided to get another car and let me "make payments on" their old one (meaning: it took me two years to pay $1,000) which was my BELOVED silver 1984 VW Rabbit. I loved that car! I drove it till 1998, when it very nearly croaked and stranded my husband on his way back from dropping our daughter off at my parents' when I was in labor with our 2nd baby -- I was so scared we wouldn't make it to the hospital! Yup, time to get a grown-up car.

Last edited by Juniper; 03-06-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote