View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Bite Me, Verizon

Verizon will be doing away with unlimited data plans, and when you upgrade you will be forced into a tiered plan. Verizon will no longer allow 'legacies' to keep their unlimited data plans when they upgrade.

Quote:
Verizon Wireless is planning this summer to begin forcing smartphone customers with unlimited data plans to switch to tiered plans when they upgrade, the company's chief financial officer told Wall Street analysts on Wednesday.

At the JP Morgan Technology, Media and Telecom conference in Boston, Verizon CFO Fran Shammo said the company will unveil a "data share" pricing model by mid-summer, which will give customers the ability to buy an allotment of data that can be used across multiple devices linked to the same account.

As that plan rolls out, Verizon (VZ, Fortune 500) will discontinue its practice of allowing customers who have legacy unlimited data plans to keep those plans when they buy a new smartphone. Verizon stopped allowing new customers to buy unlimited data plans a year ago.
I suspect the backlash will cause them to reconsider this, just as their plan to charge customers a fee if paying with a credit card was scrapped after an uprising.

Meh, I'll just get a throwaway phone if it comes to that. I don't use a ton of data but it's the principle to me: quit trying to gouge me on every little thing.

Imma be smarter than my phone.

You catching this, Verizon?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote