View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

We have owned several Toyotas through the years - our first car was a silver 1985 Tercel with 4WD - it was a funky looking car, but we got a deal on it in early 1986 as a demo. 4 cylinders, of course, and stick shift. It was a great little car, fantastic in deep snow (snow tires of course), and gorgeous on gas. We took it to Moosonee and back, and in 1996 it didn't make state inspection ...

So we bought a Corolla. No extra options, totally basic, and it was fantastic. 4 cylinders again, automatic transmission. Bought it off the lot. We, and later our kids, drove it until 2006 when my second son slid slowly into a telephone pole and the repairs would have cost far more than the car was worth.

On to the 2005 4Runner, another demo deal. My favorite vehicle EVER. Automatic transmission, true 4WD, 6 cylinders. My daughter will be bringing it back from CO in January and I want my baby back!!!

In 2011 I went shopping to replace the 4Runner, which I'd just gifted to my daughter. The 2011 4Runner was ugly as sin and a poor descendant of my beautiful SUV. I didn't buy it. I drove everything else out there that I could find, and in the end, ended up with a BMW X5. Ordered it so that it would have the performance guts it was capable of. It's 6 cylinder, auto transmission with paddle shifters, sport suspension, etc. And polka-dot running boards. There were multiple dynamics operating then ... marriage dissolving etc. ... I wouldn't go that high in price again. But it's a lovely vehicle and has been entirely problem-free. However, I still yearn for a pickup with hemi to do stuff around the property and haul farm-type stuff.

We also own a 2009 Hyundai Sonata that is a great car. My 2nd son drives it at the moment. A 2007 Camry that is ditto, even though my third son thinks it's a stodgy old-person's car. A 2002 Mercedes C240 with stick shift that's a lot of fun to drive. A 2011 BMW 535x sedan with lots of options. It's a serious risk for major speeding tickets.

I have no idea what all this says about my/our car buying choices. We've had great experience with Toyotas but also like the other cars we have. It's a matter of practicality - what we need the vehicle for. As I say, a rugged pickup has been slowly taking form in the back of my mind ...