View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #558
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

February 14

Today is Valentine's Day. So, smell a rose, eat a piece of chocolate, get some...As for me

IIIIIIIIIIIIII ain't got nobooooooody
Nobody cares for me
Nobody cares for me
IIIIIIIIIIIIII'm so sad and looooooonely
Sad and lonely, sad and lonely
Won't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me?
'Cause I ain't so bad

Today is also V-Day, a global movement to end violence against women and girls.

Concurrently with Valentine's Day, Singles Awareness Day (SAD) is a made up thing observed today by sad, envious people no one wants to be around, who feel left out.

Events

1349 – Several hundred Jews are burned to death by mobs while the remaining Jews are forcibly removed from Strasbourg.

1400 – Richard II of England dies, most probably from starvation, in Pontefract Castle, on the orders of Henry Bolingbroke.

1778 – The United States flag is formally recognized by a foreign naval vessel for the first time, when French Admiral Toussaint-Guillaume Picquet de la Motte renders a nine gun salute to USS Ranger, commanded by John Paul Jones.

1779 – James Cook is killed by Native Hawaiians near Kealakekua on the Island of Hawaii.

1849 – In New York City, James Knox Polk becomes the first serving President of the United States to have his photograph taken.

1855 – Texas is linked by telegraph to the rest of the United States, with the completion of a connection between New Orleans and Marshall, Texas.

1859 – Oregon is admitted as the 33rd U.S. state.

1899 – Voting machines are approved by the U.S. Congress for use in federal elections.

1900 – British forces begin the Battle of the Tugela Heights in an effort to lift the Siege of Ladysmith.

1912 – Arizona is admitted as the 48th U.S. state. It is the last state formed in the continental U.S.

1912 – The US Navy commissions its first class of diesel-powered submarines.

1924 – The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company changes its name to International Business Machines Corporation (IBM).

1929 – Saint Valentine's Day Massacre: Seven people, six of them gangster rivals of Al Capone's gang, are murdered in Chicago.

1945 – World War II: On the first day of the bombing of Dresden, the British Royal Air Force and the United States Army Air Forces begin fire-bombing Dresden. In 3 days of bombing, 722 RAF, and 527 USAAF heavy bombers drop 3900 tons of bombs and incendiary devices, destroying 1600 acres of central Dresden.

Apologies, but I will have to delay the rest of today's entry. Buddy has a minor emergency. Gravdigr to the rescue!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote