View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #528
jinx
Come on, cat.

As a family, we pay over $8,000 a year for insurance, plus copays when we use. We use it for check ups - 1 each per year for the kids, doctors and dentist, and one for me at the gyno. I'm the only one in the family on a prescribed med (birth control), which costs $20 (co-pay) every 3 mos.

I don't want to pay any more. We pay too much for what we use of it, but as responsible parents we cannot be without it.

Pharmaceutical companies make billions in profits ever year. Start there if you want to lay the blame of the uninsured at someone's feet - not mine. I have no problem with everyone having access to a basic standard of care, it makes sense all around. But I think as long as people to can choose to be professional students, or have their own struggling business instead of working for the man, or take time off to travel, paint, discover themselves etc... - they shouldn't have the right to take more from me to cover their ass when they get sick or hurt.

If everyone pays in, the same amount per human - then I'm all for it. If people who use more are expected to pay more - then I'm all for it. If it's team politics and those who support 'the war' are expected to pay more because they go to work and collect a bigger paycheck - fuck that.

The problem as I see it is that health care costs too damn much. If the average american can't afford it, it doesn't work. Start there. Throwing more money at the problem with only make the problem worse in the long run, and I'm not for that either.