View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #42
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Fake news, created out of whole cloth by 4chan, spread by AP, ABC, ADL

Reported by Politico:

How white nationalists fooled the media about Florida shooter

Quote:
The ADL traced its original tip to posts on 4chan, where researchers found "self-described ROF members" claiming that Cruz was a brother-in-arms. But many of those posts seem to have been written specifically to deceive reporters and researchers.

On Wednesday, an anonymous 4chan user posted about receiving a message on Instagram from an ABC News reporter after making a joke suggesting he knew Cruz.

"Prime trolling opportunity," another user replied.

"You have to take advantage of this," a third chimed in.

He asked for proof of the reporter’s identity, according to posted screenshots from their correspondence. The reporter provided an official email address and sent a photo of an ABC identification badge.

Some on the 4chan thread joked about sending back obscene photos, but others gave concrete tips for tricking the reporter: "Keep talking to her so she gains your trust"; "Keep this going be realistic ... say you have known him for years you met him on a Liberal Facebook page years ago and you have kept in touch"; "Say you are scared to tell her in case you get blamed, it will get her excited you know something big."

This particular 4chan user seems to have sent the reporter a racist cartoon and was quickly blocked. Many on the forum ripped into him for missing a "a golden opportunity."
It's been ages since I was on 4chan, but at the time I was there, they weren't white nationalists, just youngsters looking for vaguely anti-social laughs. They would gladly tell you they were white nationalists if it was funny to them, just like young people will sometimes use the n word in order to test their own boundaries and/or rile things up.

my 2009 thread where 4chan ordered pizzas delivered to the asshat who claimed his kid was in a balloon, and watched on national media as Papa John's arrived at the house - it was all for the lulz.

my 2009 thread where 4chan hacked the Time Most Influential People poll to read "MARBLECAKE ALSO THE GAME" down the left-hand side
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote