View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #948
glatt

This product isn't here yet, but it's giving me hope that in just 3-4 years it will be an option.

An implantable permanent lens that can replace the rapidly stiffening lenses in my own eyes. We already have cataract replacement lenses now and they come in a fixed focus that will make the distance sharp and you have to wear reading glasses to see close up. And there are even more expensive multifocal ones that don't focus on any one distance but instead focus on maybe 6 different focal points and a kind of jumbled image hits your retina and hopefully your brain can sort out the correct one you want to see. I tried multifocal contact lenses and they suck, so multifocal implantable lenses sound horrible.

Ophthalmologist Garth Webb of Ocumetics in Canada has invented a flexible lens that your eye muscles can flex and it will focus on any distance, just like your natural lens. Except unlike your natural lens, it won't get cloudy with cataracts, it will remain flexible, even as you age, and it can be set to the correct power for the shape of your eyeball so your vision is perfect. In fact, it can be set to a power that is better than what you ever experienced, even with corrected vision.

He has multiple patents, and the news articles don't say which patent covers the lens that works, but it looks like it might be this one filed in 2014.

Abstract:
Quote:
A suspension system (haptic) for intraocular lenses comprises an expandable body portion, such body portion comprising one or a plurality of hollow cavities, each hollow cavity comprising at least one opening communicating between the interior of the cavities and the exterior of the expandable haptic to permit ambient fluid to flow into and out of the hollow cavity and wherein the walls of the hollow cavities exhibit structure or elasticity to cause the walls to return toward their original shapes after being compressed by an external force.
When I was young, my eye doctors over-corrected my vision so I had fucking eagle eyes far away, and my eyeballs were still young enough that I could flex my internal eyeball lenses to see shit up close. Now, with 48 year old eyes, I can't focus close up as well any more, so my eye doctor is under-correcting my distance vision to give me a better chance to see up close. So shit is slightly blurry both far away and up close. Sucks.

I would pay a king's ransom to see well for the rest of my life starting today. I should start saving up now. You know insurance won't cover this.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote