View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #132
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Beats the massive heart attack I could have suffered by now.

~snip~Coffee is Good For Most People – Reduces Risk For Heart Disease Parkinsons And Diabetes – Antioxidants Can Reduce Inflammation

A new study suggests that coffee can reduce the risk of inflammation and cardiovascular disease. This is more good news for coffee drinkers. Researchers have known that both coffee and tea are high in antioxidants which help remove unstable molecules in your body called free radicals.

Free radicals contribute to the oxidative process and over time can cause inflammation and other unhealthy changes in your cells. This study involved 27,000 postmenopausal women and concluded that by inhibiting inflammation, the drink will also inhibit cardiovascular disease.

The February issue of Mayo Clinic Women’s HealthSource examines many beneficial aspects of coffee. Besides lowering the risk of heart disease, coffee, especially decaffeinated coffee, can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.

Coffee will also provide “brain protection”. Researchers assessed 890 older women and found that coffee can help cognitive skills including thinking, memory and comprehension. This could be because of the long-term caffeine exposure.

Coffee can also reduce the risk of Parkinson’s disease. Moderate to high level consumption of coffee decreased the risk of Parkinson’s in women. But this was not the case for all women. For example, the Nurses’ Health Study also showed that high levels of caffeine -- six or more cups a day -- increased the risk of Parkinson’s in women who used hormone therapy.

There are some negative consequences to coffee consumption. Too much caffeine can cause restlessness, anxiety, irritability, tremors, sleeplessness, headaches, gastrointestinal symptoms and abnormal heart rhythms. Caffeine can also raise blood pressure.

The researchers say that for most people, “it appears that a moderate daily intake of coffee (two to four cups) doesn’t seem to hurt and may even help.

By Jeffrey Workman
Best Syndication Health Writer~ snip~

Don't believe the lies sheeple!