View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #2215
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

How many are they going to hire then? No one says that they aren't hiring more. The 16,500 number was based upon the report of the the Republican staff of the House Ways and Means Committee. If I read it correctly, it is a high number -
Quote:
In its analysis, the CBO wrote that it had "not completed an estimate of the discretionary costs that would be associated with the legislation," including the costs for the IRS and other "federal agencies that would be responsible for implementing the provisions of the legislation."

But CBO did offer an estimate of the costs to the IRS for "implementing the eligibility determination, documentation, and verification processes for premium and cost-sharing credits." The IRS, the analysis said, "would probably" need to spend "between $5 billion and $10 billion over 10 years."

However, CBO did not translate that dollar range into a possible number of new hires. Instead, that task was taken up by another group -- the Republican staff of the House Ways and Means Committee.
Politifact

The real number is unknown. Reported guesses, and thats all they are, are somewhere between 8,250 and 16,500. I guessed at the middle which was the 12,000 you conveniently cited.

The truth is there will be hires at the IRS and the actual number is unknown at this time. Could it be 12,000? Absolutely. Maybe more? Well from what I've seen by our Gov't they never spend less and nothing is ever under budget.