Thread: New Uber Box
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2001, 09:47 AM   #6
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Sperlock
Love your OS choice.

Question is, are you going with Potato or waiting for Woody to go stable? Assuming you are not going to unstable, of course.
Probably woody. It's "testing" - aka, pretty stable, with maybe a few bugs here and there, but will be called "stable" in the next few months anyway.

I have another monster post in "Poll: Linux - Viable Desktop?" that you might wanna look up as well. It's in the Technology section, but you'll have to set it back to probably 60 or 90 days to actually get it. It more explains my reasons for liking Linux, as well as my preferences to the setup and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
What can i say? You have far too much money =p

Rounded sables? Make them yourself! Its not hard jsut make a iny cut at the end of every bunch of 2-5 wired and rip along the length. As for cooling in general concentrate on the heatsink iwht dust removal, particualry if its one tht blows out and try making a windtunnel of the case. 2-3 fans at the back blowing out, 1 fan + a fan bay if you have the space at the front sucking in. Or visa versa.
Heh. I have far too much money because I have an addiction for computers You certainly remember the laptop I just bought, the Dual PowerMac G4 800MHz with 1.152 gigs of ram and a GeForce3... and now this Then after this, I really just want to get a SunBlade 100... and then I just want a simple little command line box with a flat panel maybe mounted on the wall or something so that I can IRC in with BitchX while doing other shit on the main box. Having IRC open at all times is definitely very useful

Anyway. I have definitely explored the option of making round cables myself, and as you can probably tell (if you looked at the pictures and read what I was up to), I'm definitely a hands-on kinda guy. But to make really nice rounded cables, I would need to cut the connectors off (or at least the end ones - the middle could stay), do the trick and then re-crimp on new connectors. It just doesn't seem worth it *for me* to save $20. That's pretty much where I draw the line - "Okay. Here is how I want it to end up. Now, that being the case, what is the most cost efficient way to achieve this? If I do it myself, is it a pain in the ass? Is it worth it for me to do it myself?" Sometimes the answer is "Yes." I removed the back fan grille on the case and put in my own setup (and MAN does it look good ). I replaced all the fans on the inside myself. I did the blowhole myself. But. Sometimes the answer is "No." I had the blowhole cut from the place I ordered the case for an extra $11. To me, risking screwing up the case, plus the time it takes to dremel that big fuckin' hole and drill it, is enough to make me shell out the $11. So it really all depends. Anyway. As far as rounded cables go, this machine is pretty much my "this is going to look spectacular on the inside and outside" box, and for the cables to have the look I'd want them to, I'd want to properly heat-shrink the cables and whatnot (what I'm doing anyway with other cables). I'd probably just buy them. I might do that anyway now, because the more I think about it, the more I think that ribbon cables look fucking stupid.

As for the current airflow inside the case, it's like this: I have 2 80mm Panaflo fans as a front intake. Each of these moves about 40 CFM of air (cubic feet/minute) - about 1.48 cubic meters/minute. So that's 80 CFM intake. The monster Panaflo 120mm in the top will be sucking out about 103 CFM (3.8 cubic meters). The Panaflo 80mm in the back will be pulling out another 40 CFM, and the fan in the bottom of the power supply will probably be moving about the same. So, all in all, I think the air will be moving quite nicely. One thing that I am concerned about is the front of the Lian Li case - I'm not convinced that it will allow good airflow. It's for that reason that I've been toying with the idea of putting in 2 80mm fan ducts in the front (cutting away the case) to allow free movement of air in. I'm delaying because I want to make some measurements before commiting to anything.

I'm also toying with the idea of adding another intake fan or 5. I'm not sure exactly where I'd put them. That's why I'm considering doing 3 or 4 60mm fans in varioius spots or maybe in a vertical stack along a front side. I'm not sure yet though. We'll see.

As for HSF's, I'm still looking at those, which is why I neglected to mention them in the post. Since I'm not overclocking, the ones that come with the processors should theoretically do the trick, but I'm not trusting the usefulness of the system to that. There are a few very nice ones that I'm checking out. I will definitely add a separate post when I decide on those and the direction I'm going to take.