View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #57
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Journey to Cambridge delightfully uneventful, ditto Cambridge City Centre to Addenbrookes. Still didn't take any pics of Cambs. One day, one day.

Got to Addenbrookes super-early, of course. Travelling across country you just can't know there will be no breakdowns or diversions or accidents. And once I was in Cambs I might as well wait in the warm for free, right?

Checked in.
Sat for about 30 minutes and then, as last time, the nurses used the time to weigh me, check my height, take my blood pressue etc. They're good there. Although I wonder why my height has now been taken at three different hospitals? Do they not share records, or are they worried I am growing/ shrinking?

About 30 minutes before my official check-in time, I met one of the Ward Doctors.
She went through my records, my medical history, the procedure.
Warned me that my previous blood tests had shown my blood to be "thin" so I would require medication before the biopsy. Competant and personable. And pre-Raphaelite; pale skin, pale eyes, red hair.

Back to the waiting room, then off to another suite within the ward to have a canulla fitted, and more blood tests.
OWWWW!
OW!
Bloody hell. Lovely Eastern European chap. Very good English, jslight accent and unfamiliar name.
Tried to fit the canulla to my left hand. Oh, sorry. Vein was apparently too fragile and exploded. Retch, retch.
So right hand it was. And it bloody well hurt too. Poking around in there.
Can't fault him, they're my veins after all.
After a lot of poking and prodding he didn't manage to get enough from my hand, so had to get additional blood from my arm.

So I left there feeling drained, back to the waiting room.
BTW I'm going to moan about this canulla all the way through this thread. I'm sorry.
I'll say once that I know it's small beer. But it was the worst part of what ended up being a pretty decent experience. If I'm going to repeat the maons at least I'm not prefacing them all with a repeated apology.
Attached Images