View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #153
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Not really a brag, but this is a good thread for it anyway.

My boy had a really fact-intensive social studies test to study for. It was actually a makeup exam for a test he and the rest of the class bombed two weeks ago. He was studying for the makeup test about an hour every night for a week and a half and it was brutal. So many facts about the constitution and state and federal government structure and so on. So on Sunday we went over the 15 page study guide one last time before the test on Monday.

Sitting on the living room couch and quizzing him on this stuff, he would have a really hard time staying focused. He'd roll off onto the floor and start taking a sudden interest in the foot stool legs or something. Anything to take his mind off what we were studying. So on Sunday, I grabbed the study pack, and we went walking to the local woods, and just walked around the paths in the woods for a hour and a half asking him questions, and he was picking up stick and throwing rocks and smashing sticks against tree trunks all while answering the questions. He stayed pretty focused on the topic and burned off a lot of energy, and I think that by going over these facts again in a different setting, they probably stuck in his brain a little better.

So he took the test yesterday, and is confident that he got virtually all the answers right. We'll see when the test comes back, but I got the impression as we were going over the material that it was actually sticking.
Be careful. this is how Hippie Schools get started.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote