View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah, I saw that. I do wish they'd kept the Gallifrey symbol from the fan version.

So anyway. We're a week into the new series and the Daily Mail is already on its third anti-Doctor Who story. We've had the obligatory 'BBC receives complaints about lesbian kiss story' and of course the annual 'Has Doctor Who become too scary for kids?' story. And now this:

Quote:
Doctor Who criticised for scene in which characters tear out their hair after complaints from sufferers of rare disorder
Yes indeed. So, a scene in which the Doctor pulls out a single hair from his head, and lets it fall to the floor to test air disturbance - and then pulls a hair from Clara's head, because her hair is longer - and lets it fall to the floor to test air disturbance...apparently has drawn complaints.

Quote:
Doctor Who has come under fire after a scene featuring stars Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman pulling out their hair sparked complaints from sufferers of a rare disorder.

The BBC sci-fi show has been branded it 'insensitive' following a scene which left sufferers of trichotillomania 'upset' and 'uncomfortable'.

-snip-

Quickly after the short scene finished, sufferers of trichotillomania and Dr Who fans took to social media to slam the BBC for showing the scene which could be seen as a trigger to some people.
-snip-

Popular video-blogger Rebecca Brown, 21, known as Beckie0, who has over 185,000 subscribers on YouTube and suffers from the condition quickly vented her anger online.

In a YouTube video titled 'Triggered By Doctor Who' which has had almost 14,000 views, she said: 'I sat down to watch Dr Who to enjoy myself, I didn’t expect it to include triggering content.

'I just wasn’t prepared, when I know something is coming I can turn off or close my eyes but it is pretty hard when you are suddenly met with it unexpectedly.'

Seriously? They weren't 'tearing out their hair'. And ...how careful are tv writers and execs supposed to be about accidentally including triggers for very rare OCD disorders. How about scenes of people washing their hands potentially triggering people whose OCD makes them compulsively clean their hands?

The BBC declined to comment :p

Nxt up on the Daily Mail: Doctor Who ratings fall!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote