Thread: Gerrymandering
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I keep seeing arguments on gerrymandering saying it does or doesn't make a difference in the outcome. After all, Citizens United only spent 30 million after the last census presented the opportunity, on gerrymandering. So the obvious path for me is to look at the structure and results for my residence, because who's more important than me. Rhetorical, no question mark, shut up.

Looking at the districts laid out for the PA House and Senate, and how they changed in the last redistricting, they look pretty reasonable. They reflect the expected 60/40 split in the election results.

Now looking at the district carved out for the US House of Representatives definitely gives me a WTF feeling. It's pretty obvious somebody did this with intent, and likely to benefit the carver/his friends. The resulting elections give a pretty good indication. Now instead of a 60/40 split shown in the state elections, there's a 72/28 split. That's a significant shift from the state's divide.

So to me the answer is yes, it does make a difference, and when the Republicans were in the position to do so, they orchestrated the redistricting to insure the results would be skewed in their favor.
I mean just look at it, that shit can't be an accident, it was carved with a surgeon's precision. I believe with ulterior motive because... politicians.

What the fuck? Who the fuck? Why the fuck? I think I know the answers and highly doubt it's an isolated case.