View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #1497
glatt

So my current thought is a combination of wait and see how the forecast develops, and buy a few boxes of 3 mil thick contractor garbage bags. I figure I can fill the contractor garbage bags with a few inches of water (in place, because once they have water in them, they aren't going anywhere.) and make a water bag wall a couple inches high to divert the water to the side. I can dump the water after the storm and turn the bags inside out to dry, and save them for use as trash bags. I'm thinking I might need to brace them with boards and wooden stakes, but we will see. Bruce is right, I'm just concerned about a steady flow of 1 inch deep water coming from my back yard. There is one more property behind mine, and some of that runoff might come my way. Hard to read the topography of their property. Water might also run down their driveway to the street.

One of the models has us getting as little as 3 inches of rain, which is no big deal. No preparation needed for that. Another has us getting 10 inches, which would be an issue, the ground is completely saturated right now.

I've been getting a little water in the unfinished basement with some of these heavier thunderstorms we've been having this summer, but I've been really tweaking our downspout extension system and getting that under control.

It's remarkable how much rain we have been getting. Everything is overgrown.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote