View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Flint
Snowflake

Incredible, to see a Bald Eagle at that close range.

We've suspected we have Bald Eagles nesting very close to our property, because from my front porch we see them soaring overhead, sometimes groups of 2-3. Way up high, majestic, distinctive white head.

The other day I was in my driveway. The crows were going crazy. We have a lot of bird chatter around, but these guys were going nuts CAW-CAWing, signalling all around the perimeter of the clearing. I'm looking around, like what's the deal?

And I'm looking over the top of my house, way up some giant trees that are up a hill and across the street. And something pops right out, spreads a huge pair of wings--like a fighter jet--and glides away without losing an inch of altitude. What I refer to, in my attempt to describe it, as a "king" bird. Huge. I've pinpointed exactly where I was looking, the distance, and what the width of the groups of foliage at that height on the tree are, and I think this bird had to have a 5-6 foot wingspan. It was solid brown, no white head as an adult Bald Eagle would have. I interpreted it as "golden" brown, but that could have been the interspersed white feathers on the underside of a juvenile Bald Eagle, which I think this was.

That's the most alarming bird sighting I've ever had, it was like seeing a huge shooting star--it happened so fast.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote