Thread: Sterilization
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
Juniper
I know, right?

Sterilization

In honor of Mother's Day, ha ha ha!!!! I thought I'd pose this question here, because collectively it seems the Cellarites know everything, and I would like some personal advice.

Me and the hubby are both 41. We have two children, and judging from the fact they're now 13 and almost 11, we seem to be pretty happy as parents of two. That's all we planned to have. Yes, I am a planner; both times we said "hey, let's get me knocked up," and we did, down to the very month we chose.

Every now and then I get a little "twinge" that it might be nice to have another baby - but it is short-lived, because I am truly enjoying the idea of getting on with the rest of my life. I think it's not so much that I want a baby, it's that I feel sad to have that part of my life over, and to no longer say "well, maybe someday."

But facts is facts. Hub and I are done reproducing. I've been on the pill since I was 15, with breaks only for conception and delivery. Now it's the mini-pill because it's easier on those of us who have hypertension issues. I'd kind of like to stop taking it.

Hubby agreed to "get snipped" as we say. He agreed to this in theory, and was going to do it about three years ago during a vacation week but instead we ended up moving that week! It's not so much that he disagrees with the concept, but actually getting it done seems to be difficult for him. He says he's not scared, but I know he must be. He's got three friends (at least) who have done it and assure him it's fine, but there's another who says he's never been the same, regarding both performance and sensation. I dunno.

Now, last time I went to the doctor for my annual "girlie" exam the doc told me about this thing called Essure that will sterilize me without surgery - no invasive "get yer tubes tied" stuff. And now I'm thinking I should do that -- it seems easier for me than it would be for him, if only from the POV that I'm used to doctors poking around my genitals -- from my various reproductive experiences -- and he is not. This is some IUD-like gimmick they insert and the tubes close up around it, resulting in permanent sterilization.

I mentioned it to him today and he seemed a little offended that I would offer to do it instead; perhaps he will have a need to be the strong one and do this chivalrous act. OTOH, I find that I want to spare him the trouble, if only because I know I can deal with the minor discomfort it is supposed to cause and I don't have to worry about work schedules.

There is also a little worry that this Essure thing is fairly new, vs. the male vasectomy stuff they've been doing for quite some time.

Advice appreciated.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote