View Single Post
Old 10-09-2004, 07:46 PM   #11
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by depmats
Actually the number for Iraq is over $200 million. Even so, I am more likely to write my congressman a letter and tell him thanks for finally doing something about all of the entitlement programs. That isn't aimed at you Marichiko, but at all of the fluff in the system.

Just because $200,000,000 is spent in a war effort doesn't mean we have to keep entitlement programs. Some programs are obviously needed, but these should be limited, short term programs, not long term permanent fixes.
With all due respect, Defmats, someone has been telling you a whopping great fairy tale when it comes to the cost of the Iraq war. Try here: http://costofwar.com/
When I checked in on that site right now the cost stood at $139,221,159,942.00 and climbing.
What we have is an entitlement program for Halliburten and like corporations. How about cutting some fat from THEM?

The social services systems in this country are so bare bone, they look like the victims of an Ethiopian famine. As for short term programs - what do you do about people who are permanently disabled or permanently old? Take them out and shoot them after 5 years?

I suspect you are making the classic mistake of looking at people who get huge disability awards from private insurance companies. Those of us who must depend on the SSDI program (a government disability program which workers paid into with their OWN money) very often do not recieve enough to survive. You cannot survive on $625.00 a month which is what I get.