View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

What I resent is the givebacks and incentives that local politcians give to Wal-Mart. For a supposedly free market economy, these stores seem to negotiate some sweetheart deals.

If it makes economic sense to open a Wal-Mart somewhere, just do it. Be prepared to pay the taxes it will take to support the fire department as well as the police department that will have to respond to two or three calls every day for traffic, shoplifting, vandalism, etc.

It's not because I hate Wal-Mart, but because I don't want my elected official to be dumb enough to sign me up for a bad deal by giving tax breaks that would not have been given to the ten smaller stores that could have gone into the same space in exchange for low-paying jobs which might not be even filled by local taxpayers and increased traffic and demand on fire and police.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote