View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
sandshoecrusher
Person Who Has Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraC View Post
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the subject.

I am a mom of 2 kids, I have a almost 17 yr old son and an almost 4 yr old little girl. My son is from my first marriage, which ended after 2 or so years. I raised him from about 3 to 9 yrs alone. I tried very hard to not spank, as I was trying to make up for the father not being in his life. I was one of those moms who gave him any and everything and for the most part spoiled him unconditionally.
Now comes a new marriage and a new baby. After raising my son without spankings I now see the problem that arises out of that type of situation. My son is not a bad kid and has never been in any trouble, but he does lack the knowledge of knowing when I mean business and when he can slide with something.
I decided upon having the baby girl that I would use spankings as a end resort if other things didnt work. I have only had to spank her a few times, but I can honestly say that I should have been spanking my son thru the years. I see the difference in the two of them now and realize that if I had brought my son up with knowing he would recieve spankings if he didnt do as he was told It would have worked out better for him in the long run.
I want both of my children to respect discipline and authorities and want them both to know that there is always going to be rules and laws that they have to follow or they will have to suffer the consequences.

I would add that I dont agree with severe beatings or spankings and I dont agree with spankings being done in public. But I do think the school systems have gone way too far in telling our children that they should call 911 if they are being hit by their parents. Many years ago my son threatened me that if I ever spanked him that he would call 911 on me. I was furious with the school! But recently I heard a comedian say about this very subject: Thats fine you can call 911 IF you can make it to the phone LOL LOL I thought that was too funny!!!

:p :p
sandshoecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote