View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Which School? This is the whole damn district! And yes, you can do AC classes. My kids' elementary middle school is an alternate program where all kids work at their own level, so absolutely yes in that case.
I misunderstood the article when I posted earlier but I agree 100% with your kids' school. The school I grew up in has been dropping in the rankings and from what I have heard, there has been a push to drop the AC classes to keep everyone on a more equal level (for self-esteem reasons apparently), hence why I asked.

This equalizing push doesn't make any sense to me. The only reason I am in my position right now is because of those AC classes. I was good at math and not English, it doesn't make sense for me to hold back the good English students while I would be held back in math. Not every student has the same skills.

Also, self-esteem comes from improvement, not flattery. Equalizing everyone discourages competition and improvement, and people wonder why my generation has so many psychological issues when they leave the safety of high school...

Quote:
We pay no attention to the standardized test scores either.
Good. Teach kids skills that will be needed in the 2030 - 2040 job market. Skills that can't be automated. Screw standardized tests.