View Single Post
Old 04-15-2003, 11:23 PM   #13
jennofay
..the small and meek.

Quote:
Originally posted by floki
What about this: one of my teachers once started wondering in class whether when people removed their noce piercing and blew their nose there would be a spurt of snot. Just imagining this still makes me laugh hard.
i assure you, it certainly does not. the hole is too small. my nostril piercing is a 20g, which is the larger average sized nostril piercing. some will have them pierced with larger jewelry, or have them stretched, but for an average sized piercing, like an ear piercing, if there is no jewelry in it, the skin kind of un-stretches to cover the hole. you would have to blow with an *extreme* amount of force to build up the pressure to cause the hole to open and snot to shoot through it. although it would be funny, and as i type this, someone somewhere is trying to do it to prove me wrong

of course, my [super intelligent...] ex was convinced that if i got too many piercings, my beverages would start to shoot out of them as i drank. currently, i have seven (nine if you count industrials and orbitals as two separate piercings each)...and have had five others that have since closed up for one reason or another, and i am still holding liquids just fine, thankyouverymuch.

i have been quite fortunate to be able to obtain jobs where piercings were acceptable. my dad always told me growing up not to get too many piercings, or i would never get a job. this image makes me wonder if society's objections to piercings are simply a manifestation of deeper rooted racism. going back, body art has held deep-rooted meaning for many tribal cultures. when you think of a woman from india, you cant help but add to that image a bindi and nose stud. could it be that objections to piercings are really a way of subconsciously objecting the cultures that they reference?

interesting...

jennofay is offline   Reply With Quote