Thread: Good and bad
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2001, 04:51 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
Interesting! Would've figured that we'd have Boston beat by a mile, but DC and StL? What about that southern hospitality? Is it just a myth?
DC is an anomaly. Quite frankly, it is the most impolite city I know. I have NEVER met so many rude people in my life. Everyone seems a tad too jaded for my liking. It doesn't help that the number of native-born DC folk is rapidly dwindling. It also doesn't help that the city itself is a festering toilet. This is the capital of the free world for crying out loud...and yet it is infamously known for its drug trade and murder rate. Not to mention, the cost of living rivals New York City and San Francisco.

St. Louis is a cross between southern charm, midwestern conservatism, Catholic guilt, and liberal bastion. The people are generally warm and friendly, not to mention rabid sports fans. Unfortunately, St. Louis is still heavily segregated and one of the worst examples of White Flight in the nation. (I think St. Louis has lost 60% of its population over the last 50 years.) All in all, St. Louis is a nice city with an up-and-coming technology and service sector, and several fine universities. But the city is sorely lacking in suburban public transit and race relations. After 23 years, it was time to go. I don't think my parents quite get it yet, but they're getting there...