View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #21
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Someone earlier mentioned respect. That's the key. My daughter is still in high school, and whenever a boy comes-a-callin, and it seems they will start seeing each other exclusively, I have "the talk" with him before he ever takes her on a date alone. I essentially cover two topics...first, he will show her respect or he can hit the road. Second, do not change to make her like him. He needs to be honest with her and not change who he is, else he will regret it later. So the talk is really to let him know he needs to respect himself before he can respect her. I have seen too many cases where a guy decided to change himself to be liked and it caused a lot of stress later for everyone involved.

So my advice to you would be the same. Respect yourself by being yourself, then respect her. Dad's can see right through an act.
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote