Thread: The Obamanation
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #58
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I still think this situation has a lot to do with Obama and his wanting to be bipartisan and put an end to "business as usual in DC" versus Pelosi trying to flex her muscles. The R's, depending on your perspective, seem to be either trying to get what they think will work into this while cutting the pork or are just dickin around trying to play the spoilers.
It seems to me that if the pork got removed as well as the nice stuff that doesn't belong in a stimulus bill, this would pass in an instant. Thats the fault of both sides.
That appears to be what is happening.

Politicians of both parties are creatures of habit. Its not easy for them to change how they act.

In the House, they are, and have always been, highly partisan. In the Senate, they like to talk alot and debate for days, then find some level of consensus that wont please all, but would often ensure passage of legislation.

Much of the House inserted pork and popular non-stimulus related programs are being removed in the Senate (with Obama's support) to the tune of $!00 billion less then they started with.

It should pass by next week, but with little bi-partisan support, perhaps a handful of Republicans. Most Rs will dig in their heals and not support a bill that, in their ideological belief, contains too much spending and not enough tax cuts.

That works for me!