View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #34
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
If it's any ubiquitous store, then I don't think we have a common term for that. Maybe Main Street store would work, but I've never heard anyone use the term.

I tolerate McMall stores, but I regret the homogenization of the US and the world.
I've tried to shop locally for years.
Mostly for financial reasons.
I assume many, many people have decided to throw in their lot with the multiples for the same reason - it's a financially viable way to raise a family.

For example I couldn't shop like Monster because I have no car and buying in bulk is not reasonable for a single person. I can save money by buying small amounts of fresh food, because multipacks would go off and be wasted. Sometimes this means a small piece of a high-end treat, sometimes it just means compromise.

I remember the hours we spent shopping when I was a child, going to each independent shop, and pulling the shopping trolley a mile home. I still do the trip home, but due to lack of choice it's all from a supermarket. And I wish it was larger so we had a better deli/ butcher/ fish counter/ bakery. Instead I hang around the discounted section

I pine for the choice of my youth, but I acknowledge it would work out too expensive for me, and impractical financially too. They're still there though. especially on the t'internet. And they deliver.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote