View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #750
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
I'd like to hear about that trip
Sunday afternoon, 3PM in MA, 8" of snow and falling fast. I got a phone call from Philly, strike's over, have to be back at work tomorrow.
I-91 was one lane, bumper to bumper, mostly trucks because anyone who didn't have to be on the road wasn't. I-95 was the same. We came to a halt at two salt laden plows parked on the side with their yellow lights flashing. There was a low spot in the road where the snow had drifted in and a car got stuck so the plows refused to risk hitting the car. This is I-95, the fucking pavement is 40 ft wide, ferchristsakes. The car was a Datsun 2-seat roadster, so one of the truck drivers rounded some of us up and we picked up the car and dumped it on the side. From New Haven there were four 25-cent tolls in CT and one just after the NY line where the state police blocked the road. "Sorry folks, road closed, turn around"... (John Candy at Wally World) WTF!

Can't argue so U-turn, take the first exit to US-1, and get out the map in a truck stop lot. A guy dressed in white scrubs says he has to get to work at a hospital in NYC. If I give him a ride he'll get me there. Damn if he didn't, by driving underneath the elevated highways where the roads were impassable. There was 23" in Manhattan, but wind pushes it off buildings into the canyons, a lot of side streets looked 10 or more ft deep.

Cool, just schlep to NJ by one of the two tunnels Wrong, tunnels are closed. OK there's three bridges. Bridges are open, roads to them are closed.
About five hours later they open the tunnels, get to NJ, on my way now baby! Nope gotcha, turnpike and Garden State are closed. Head slowly down US-1.
Looking for food, I spot a service road into the back door of a Turnpike rest area and found out the wind had blown most of the snow off the pike but is was icy and they were afraid the wind would push vehicles off the side.
I ain't scairt.
Drive around the barriers, over the lawn, onto turnpike. Come over the Walt Whitman bridge a little after 2 PM on Monday and there isn't a damn flake on the ground... it was maybe 50 degrees and sunny. Then I called my boss to tell him my tale of woe.

Now aren't you sorry you asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
...—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil.
Then we became old and evil.