Thread: Scrappers
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #17
Char*Pntr
Complex Simpleton

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
With all the houses owned by the banks sitting empty, thieves have had a field day stripping out plumbing, wiring, aluminum windows, storm doors, and even siding. Every once in a while you see someone on the news that tried to steal copper wire that was hot. Well, you don't actually see them, to grisly for family viewing.
Hi Bruce, I just got back from the walk. Indeed you are correct. The first wave of foreclosures, were people working at Mc Donalds, and buying a $700,000 - $800,000 homes. The second wave is now here: People that bought those homes at those prices, realize they will probably never get above water in their lifetime. So I've seen many of my neighbors now "walk away" from their homes.

This is a final sad note on recycling. My dog harley. He's a beautiful 75 pound golden retriever. He was also recycled. Since I live at the end of the project and at a cul de sac the local police call this a "drop off zone". That means the people here walking away from their home, drive at the end of the project in front of my home, open their car door - and out goes their pet.

That is how I got harley. But at first he scared me, he is so big. One night I was having a smoke outside before bed. I was out quite a long while, when to my shock was that dog. He was there the whole time next to (his now) favorite fire hydrant. Then he noticed me, and ran to me. I remember thinking, I was going to die. I vaguely remember waiting close to my front door - I really did not feel like going to work that Monday, and this would provide me a valid medical excuse in case he chomped into me.

Then - he sat on my foot, almost as if at attention. It turns out he has had significant training. My neighbor is somewhat of a dog expert. While I was at work, he took harley, and ordered him to sit. After that, my neighbor walked around his truck. During this time, the dog did not move.

When I take him for a walk, and he sees a small dog and owner coming our way - he lays down on the side walk. These are typically very small dogs - and they yap at him. But he stays put and smiles.

Absolutely amazing. But there is another side to him: He obviously came from a family with children. When we have friends over to spend the weekend with children, the dog goes crazy ( loves children and company). However, in this situation, when I go downstairs in the morning, my own dog growls and barks at me! He seems to favor women and children, but when they are in our house, he will bark at me if I surprise him.

So I've had him exactly one year now. That is why I didn't know, when he puts a paw on my knee, that means he needs to go outside.
But I know better now.