View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #7765
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
vacuum cleaner is dead. I've performed an autopsy and have discovered an overheated and burned out electrical connection on a circuit board. I will fix it tomorrow. I need to go to radio shack and buy some kind of connector that can be soldered to the circuit board in place of the one that is burned up. I will also need to find the matching connector for the wires that lead from the ac supply to the new connector.

*sigh*

We'll see how things go tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Sure, want me to hold your beer while you test it?
Thanks man!

This is done.

Here's the pc board showing the failed connector.
Name:  IMG_9770sm.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  67.7 KB

A close up of the place where the wire overheated and melted.
Name:  IMG_9772sm.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  37.3 KB

This is the male side of the connector. Both wires look black at the end, but one started out white.
Name:  IMG_9775sm.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  50.7 KB

I couldn't find a Molex connector that matched my situation, so I made do with two separate connectors, each half occupied. I renewed the end of the existing wires with this segment of red and black wire, attached some suitable ends for the connector on the pc board and put it all back together.
Name:  IMG_9784-001sm.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  74.9 KB

Sadly, I had two screws left over. Probably the ones that secure the adapter plate ffs. Now I have to take it all apart again.

But it *DOES WORK*, I tested it and it works great. Total cost of supplies used: under two bucks.

Last edited by BigV; 04-02-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: fumble with images; recovered
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote