Thread: Tolerance
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #146
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
Thanks for the support, dana and sundae, but in the case of my "you won't understand" comment, no, IM's right. It was out of line. Like I said, it was ableist and condescending, and as someone who's also struggled with mental health issues I should totally know better. It was an unfair dig at his mental problems, and that should be just as out of line - to anyone, hurt or not - as attacking me for my identity or whatever. I apologise to JB and to IM - it was, let me be clear, out of line for me to hit back that way. It was a reflection of the fact that I, to be honest, don't particularly appreciate JB's contribution to the forum, and find myself at best frustrated by the disingenuousness with which he responds to topics - but making that into a dig at his mental health issues, so condescendingly, IS out of line.
Ibram, you are a class act. Thank your for taking the time to understand where I was coming from.

We've espoused "teaching" the socially inept, but it seems that is only lip service in some cases. My point was that he asked a question, and it was nice of you to explain it to him, and the 'never understand' was unneccessary. It's NOT a huge thing, of course, but I think it needed noted.

I really never thought JBK meant that comment as much more than a really poor attempt at humor and trying to fit in. Maybe I've self-appointed myself as his advocate. *shrugs* So what? I am not ready to give up on him, and I do like a lot of his contributions and find him interesting.

He was rightfully called on it. But not forgiven nor did anyone try to understand anything beyond their own ire.

But you did. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
*nods*

Oh I get it. I just don't like the double standard you are apparently being held to by others.
No. I told JBK his words were inappropriate too. I didn't try to ride him out on a rail because of it, but I told him he was wrong. I used the word: wrong.

Choose to see the whole picture.

----------------------------------

Though there is much of my life experience no one here will ever know about, don't assume that I haven't been through my share of hell. Your hell is not my hell, my hell is not yours. I just choose to keep much of it where it should be: hidden in the dark recesses. That pain is intricately mine and no one elses. If you cut me, I do indeed bleed. My mild irritants...sure, you'll hear all about those. I do hope for the same considerations of what might be of what is not known, as to the buttons.

And I'm glad this whole ordeal maybe turned into a teaching/learning moment for some of us, me included.

Thanks again, Ibram.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote