View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #43
monster
I hear them call the tide

First in the 100 breaststroke, dropped 5 seconds!!!!!

Half a second is a big cause for celebration at this point, she had a 1:19.xy and has swum close a few times, but she got 1:14.93 tonight. Amazing. And her coach reckons she can drop another 5 by the end of the season which will be well within a State Cut (qualifies her to swim at High School Division 1 State Championships). She's now less than a second off the State Cut for USA age-group swimming.

She also dropped 7 seconds in her 200 free and took 2nd, but she should have dropped more -that time was old, she has only swum it once a year to this point.

The first and second are great, but there was never a question of not thrashing this team tonight, so coach did not swim the fastest and best in their regular events. The A Medley Relay team was all freshmen -including SG. And they took first. The four super-breastrokers on the team did not swim the breaststroke event. It was on SG and she pulled it off!

Enough about her, back to me.

last home meet, I was shown how to run the computer -get the times from the scoreboard, match them to the swimmers, enter DQs and manual times when the electronic time is incorrect (swimmer didn't hit the pad), make the last minute line-up changes, produce scores and results etc. Tonight was supposed to be my second "training session" but no-one else showed. just me. i made it. but several hair-raising moments along the way including the program crashing in the middle of the meet. And lots of manually entered times -this is very unusual.

The team we were swimming against is from the high school where Hebe's winter team for the last 6 years practice. So we knew loads of them. they have all been on the same team for a long time. Weird to swim against them. She triumphed, though. Incidentally, it was them mostly failing to hit the pads properly. Faulty pads has plagued that pool forever. now I'm wondering, maybe it isn't the pads hat are faulty? Or perhaps they are just so used to them not working, they just touch wherever.....

Let me tell you this, though. Coach is nutso. This was a given win. Some of the oppo could barely swim. And yet she was still wound up tight as a scotsman in a gay bar befoe the meet.

Oh and the name-embriodered team color/logo Speedo backpacks came in today, but somehow SG's got missed from the order.