View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #50
gen131
One size doesnt fit all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernster
I believe gen131 was referring to your insinuations that the posters here, and xoxoxoBruce in particular, have less than average intelligence. Seeing as how you don't have a relaxed relationship with Bruce, who seems to be one of the authority figures on the board, gen131 suggested you should keep your disrespectful "opinions of his character" to yourself.

Just sayin'.

Yeah thats pretty much correct.

hmm.. I feel led to explain some military practice and courtesy at the moment. Think of it as my advice, instruction or biased opinion.

Knowing when one can be blunt or not is based on relationship, rank and personal character. That is a part of tact.

Rank does have a lot to do with it, because without tact, your bluntness becomes disregard for authority. In truth, crossing the barriers between enlisted and NCO, you can have a good working relationship, but you are not meant to be buddies on the job. If you think you are buddies with an E-5, then he is either not professional enough to serve as an NCO and should have remained an Airman, or you have not learned proper respect and courtesy or protocol. Just by your description of your relationships you have with your E-5's and your opinions of them, would give serious doubt in the mind of any good NCO as to your ability to perform without question in a situation that calls for imediate action and following of orders from leadership, where lives could be lost due to a moment of hesitation on your part caused by an over relaxed relationship and lack of professionality.

With a good working and yet professional relationship it becomes a jest of fun.

With a person who has a "high and mighty disciplined like" character it could be something to be cautious about. Speaking of which if you think someone has a "high and mighty disciplined like" character, is it the person who has the issue, or a lack of responsibility and personal discipline which causes you to think that disciplined people think they are high and mighty?

One has to question the trueness of one who asks for political correctness so as "not to offend anyone" in refering to Airmen as "miltary personnel" when he himself calls his mother an "Army brat"

Am I military? I'm not the whole military, but I understand your somewhat gramatically incorrect question. I am serving in the military. And I'd wager that my experience is a little higher than yours, and I may have a little more of an inkling of military protocol and behavior, having come into an older military than the soft and easy politically correct military you are used to. I've been where you were, although not so brash and tactless, starting from an E-1, spent a good proud number of years as an NCO and now currently enjoy the esteem of the commissioned status. Listening to an Airmen's explain how the Military works, stemming from his limited military experience and some work relationships with a couple of E-5s, is like listening to a highschooler expound upon the wisdom he has aquired in life. Now if someone comes on to post and can correct or further expound on my theories, and has over 10 years of military service, I would then be willing to concede my opinion over to his wisdom.

I dont consider myself high and mighty, although you might think of me as such, and that would be your perogative. Should you call me an idiot in jest as we work in the field, (Not that you Airmen ever get in the dirt), I would probably return such a compliment in a like manner. If you were to show a tone of aggression or disrespect, you would quickly find yourself crunching out pushups with your feet up on the side of one of those fancy B-1 tires at least 4 feet off the ground until I get tired. If you were to call me an A**hole or anything of the such using a vulgar and unprofessional language, you would definately find yourself with a nice round of consructive and corrective activity.

So to break it down, I think you need to gain some experience before you can tell anyone how the military truly works, and you need to learn and practice a little tact, respect, and keep such unwarranted and discourteous opinions out of your posts.

Any way, those are my thoughts, and opinions. But I could just be an overly conservative, opinionated, and "high and mighty" Officer with 10 years enlisted experience, who has once been there, done that, been in the dirt with the guys, and had too much fun burning things, shooting telephone pole sized rockets with the potential to destroy 1 grid square (1 square kilometer) in one volley, driving track vehicles at high speed, shooting stuff up, sleeping in cramped vehicles for weeks, taking care of soldiers, and wishing the military of today wouldnt be so politically sensitive, soft, stress-free, and allow young people to come into service with no sense of respect, personal discipline, and who think anyone who offers professional correction is merely out to get them and hates them. Not to say I disrespect these types of people. I just dont think they are suited for the military, and the world has better places for such free-willed and possibly free-thinking people.

sorry didnt mean to post so long.

--

Soo.... Back to the image of the day.

I still think a certain level of control was absent and someone wasnt thinking all the way through for it to get so out of hand.
gen131 is offline   Reply With Quote