View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #52
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"but that shit just doesn't happen, because other women would immediately freak out at any woman who said that"

That's all fine, and if our brains were identical response to the different hormones our bodies create were identical, we'd be down for that approach too.

But they aren't, so what if the "locker room talk" is a necessary part of getting those feelings figured out? What ARE we going to do with these feelings if we can't talk about them?

The feelings are quite different, despite Dana's objection and here is the crux of our differences. For 100,000 years, with no culture to assist, it kept the species thriving under many different conditions, so it is one of the most powerful things we know.

So please feel free to translate:

"Holy shit, I would *destroy* that ass."

to:

"Guys, that waitress over there? I feel a remarkable, mostly inexplicable but unattainable attraction to her, that I cannot possibly just ignore. I would never actually act upon this, and must assume she would not permit it, as a default condition. That is why I must express this in the fiercest way possible, so that it indicates how crazy my own brain is driving me right now. Do you agree because I would like to know I'm not alone in this feeling."

Also you women may not have noticed a different kind of harassment preventative male chatter that happens routinely. It, too, is along the lines of "if you see something, say something" and it goes like this:

"If you so much as look at my woman I will break this cue over your head."

I know there will be objections to the word "my" and etc. so I'll note it doesn't have to be "my" and it doesn't have to be "woman"... "girlfriend" "boyfriend" "daughter" "wife" "friend" or it often just goes unsaid.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote