Thread: Meanwhile in...
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #28
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Cameron was rumoured to be offering the Scots a vote for independence.
But the referendum must be with the next 18 months, is legally binding and is all-or-nothing.

That would have been a huge gamble for Alex Salmond, who promotes a middle of the road solution which means more devolution (Scotland gaining more powers of self-government). This is the only middle of the road thing about him; he wants to get people who aren't hardcore nationalists on his side.

It's an extremely complex issue, as if Scotland does gain full independence it will affect the Armed Forces, the NHS, banking, the Houses of Parliament and the House of Lords, the Monarchy, the BBC, the Union Jack and the Eurovision Song Contest.

Salmond is countering with a consultation paper suggesting a referendum in 2014, with a devolution-max option, where Scots can opt out of much of the control Whitehall currently has. As above, he is worried he will be defeated in an all or nothing vote.

There are various strands to this, including whether ex-pats can vote. Sean Connery has been very vocal about Scottish independence, but every radio interview I've heard with a Scot just derides him. He doesn't live here (Scotland), he doesn't work here and he doesn't pay taxes. Fuck his opinion. Oh and he once dated my Granny. She could have married him you know.

They bottled Sheena Easton offstage last time she came back to sing.

I can't see that dividing small countries into smaller countries makes sense.
It's like subsistance farming.
With Scotland's lower population per square mile I think they benefit from being part of the UK.

Parliament might feel a long way away if you're in the Hebrides, but so will Edinburgh. The UK as it stands definitely benefits from having Scotland as part of the Union. I believe Scotland does too. Alex Salmond vehemently disagrees, but he is a man I would not trust as far as I can spit. And being a lady, that's only into a handkerchief.

Anyway, that was Scottish Independence Lite.
I am more than happy to take a backseat if and when Scots (both born and implanted) air their views.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote