View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #2853
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I think they're approach is that someone who is not 100% emotionally stable may have trouble dealing with the issues that these children have. And also that they might not be able to cope with an angry and frustrated cgild, who may not be able to show gratitude, trust or even friendship.

This is what worries me, because I am actually very patient with people (I know I show my irritable side here, but trust me). In fact HM used to think I was really intolerant until he met my friend Teri - who is a really lovely woman, but can be a bit much sometimes.

I don't think they have any prejudice against people with previous problems, all they are trying to do is get the best possible outcomefor kids who come from homes where their sole parent might have problems with drugs, drink, have been abused themselves or be a potential abuser. Most of these children already have a social worker, they are looking for an adult friend simply to be a constant and reliable presence.

I didn't tell them I'd had alcohol counselling. Which is very dishonest of me. But I figured it was one step too far. I know I can trust myself. I could even when I was drinking regularly.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote