View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #289
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Heh, we were talking last night about which families we could get away with serving nontraditional food to. The only one who definitely wouldn't put up with it is my dad. I once told him I was thinking about making enchiladas on Christmas Eve and he kind of flipped. Fox News probably told him illegal immigrants were taking over Christmas, and here I'd gone and proved it...

Anyway, the current bones of the plan are this: I'm making a big batch of mashed potatoes for our regular dinner Sunday night. Leftover mashed potatoes will be saved for my dad's meal. I will also make bacon-wrapped dates way ahead of time, tell him to bring green beans, open a can of cranberry sauce, and that's that.

Meanwhile, Mr. Clod is going to call his mom today and ask how she feels about turkey burgers and sweet potato fries for Christmas Eve-afternoon. We think she'll be into it. She will also get the first half of the bacon-wrapped dates, and a couple of other thrown-together sides.

Chistmas Day, I have scored big in that my aunt has offered to bring a ham. Woo! And my mom gave me a giant bag of tamales that her massage therapist gave to her. (He's Hispanic. Tamales on Christmas are a thing.) This branch of the family is the weirdest, and will eat whatever the hell I throw at them. They once had a soup potluck for Christmas. So it'll be ham, tamales... and some other stuff.

Also, today I'm going to the GFCF bakery and getting 24 overpriced cupcakes in seasonal flavors (pumpkin, apple spice, etc.,) to be spread across all three meals. Hooray!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote