View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 04:58 PM   #10
jaguar
whig

It's a big trade over here. I remember one day I made a grave error in my travel plans and ended up stuck in Geneva airport overnight (long sotry). At any rate the few of us that were wandering around eventully sat down and started chatting, it's just something that happens. Turns out one of the guys is a professional watch trader, colleting oddities across eastern europe and bring them back at a fiar margin. His last trip had gone a bit awry.

During WW2 a shipment of military issue Rolex's bound of England was stolen from an airport in Corsica, these watches are specially marked, very unique and very valuable. Ever since they have been occasionally surfacing all over Corsica. This guy manages to track two of them down, ends up sending some time over there, shacks up with this girl. Girl has another guy, guy raids apartment, chases guy and then proceeds to stalk him all the way across europe, phoning him every now and then, telling him where he is and how he's going to kill him. Police were useless, he's dodging onto trains, taxis, busses. He managed to give him the slip in Austria and is taking the first plane in the morning to New York. He had nearly 40 watches with him, tiny incredibly intricate ones, the 2 military rolexs, all sorts, was amazing. I think in total somewhere around 60k worth. i was honestly tempted to purchase a couple, there was some beautiful things in there.

Sorry that was entirely off topic but it's just a random travel tale that came to mind.