View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
Snakeadelic
Banned

Let us not forget the river I grew up near, one of the largest geographical features in the Pacific Northwest and its biggest river. Over 1,200 miles long and the 4th largest river in the US by volume, draining an area the size of France. (So says Wikipedia, and on this I believe them.) Earlier this month I once again got to see how the landscape changes but the river does not, as the annual Gallivant Westward to visit families follows the Columbia for 80-ish miles along Interstate 84, right through the heart of some of the most spectacular volcanic geology in Oregon.

And please, let us not forget the 7 astronauts lost when the space shuttle Columbia disintegrated on re-entry after decades of successful missions. Fun story, wish I still had the original link:
There was a little horse farm in Texas, right in the debris path from that disaster, raising American Paint horses. Days after the loss of the shuttle, one of their mares delivered a black pinto foal. Centered along his spine, just above his tail and between his hipbones, was a white mark inside a black spot. Said white mark, which I might still have a tiny pic of stowed somewhere among thousands of image files, was an almost-perfect silhouette of our shuttles as seen from above. A comparatively short-lived (horses rarely make 30 but have been documented living to over 50 in rare instances) but intriguing accidental memorial...

But let's not forget those astronauts. Look 'em up on Wikipedia.

Last edited by Snakeadelic; 07-23-2017 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Not awake, redundancies suck.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote