View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #292
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Make a big pot of sloppy joes. Serve 3 days in a row. Act like it's perfectly normal.
I like the cut of your jib, Glatt. A man after my own heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatl View Post
Clod, how do you make your potatoes? I tried making ours with chicken broth instead of milk/cream for Thanksgiving and they were just kind of... sad.
I use Olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, egg yolk if you really need to boost the mouth feel. Obviously, mix it with olive oil first and incorporate it slowly into the taters or it will cook. Maybe beans shouldn't be eating raw eggs, but you get the idea. Carmelized onions minced would certainly add that whole Umame angle, Maillard reaction and all that. Oatmilk is another one that has a velvety texture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
I used to make dairy-free mashed potatoes using water and rice milk ... had to up the garlic and seasoning a bit. I used a vegan margarine at the time. They didn't have that fatty mouth-feel, but they were tasty and went well with sauteed mushrooms etc.

My kids are doing the Christmas menu next week and have decided on ham, scalloped potatoes, green beans, devilled eggs, broccoli with cheese sauce, and peppermint cheesecake and creme de menthe bars for dessert. I have a feeling I won't be able to eat any of it, lol ... I have no idea what the Christmas Eve menu will be but can't really care this morning ... thinking about food too much right now is not helping my side effects.

Anyway - I thought it rather funny that they decided a turkey with stuffing was too risky and too much work - after insisting on that for every holiday meal for years! Ditto the duck and goose. However, I do appreciate them choosing something they feel comfortable doing. It'll be interesting to watch them smash up all the required peppermint candy for the cheesecake!
Sounds yummy, but I dig what you are saying about food not mixing with chemo. I'm surprised you can even be around food.

How old are your kids? You make them sound like teenagers in the kitchen.