Thread: Suicide
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2003, 10:19 PM   #10
Jakeline
Disorderly Orderly

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
The law says that one may not assist OR ATTEMPT to commit suicide. Sucessful attempts are not criminal due to the obvious fact that the "criminal" is already dead.

An attempt that does not result in death becomes a civil matter at the order of a judge, who tends to get the case first. He sends the headache to YOU, and you get to prepare another rubber room. Or something like that.
That isn't quite how it goes down in California. In here, they get you medical attention (obviously) then you are relegated to 72 hours of psychiatric observation. After the 72 hours, they will release you if they feel you are no longer a danger to yourself or others. As for it being a civil matter or a judge getting involved, according to the local police, that doesn't happen. Perhaps the laws are different out here on the left coast.

Yes, I believe people deserve to die the death they choose, however, under two conditions:

1) They harm no others (obviously)
2) They can fully appreciate the consiquences of their actions. I think that a lot of depressed people want to die on a very gut level, but can't see any further than their depression. Just my uneducated opinion.
Jakeline is offline   Reply With Quote