View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

New shorts, Grav?

UT, I would think Dana's right, the word was likely "febrile", we've heard that word a lot, back in the day. It's thought to be related to temperature. glatt, you're right, the new rules are no rescue breathing, just chest compressions. I don't know about cerebral hypoxic crisis Jaydaan, but I'm very, very happy you found a way to make the seizures stop.

A kid with seizures is as scary as anything I've ever experienced. SonofV started having seizures almost fifteen years ago. Getting them under control with the right combination of medicine, diet, rest and exercise, all while he grows and grows is like trying to hit a moving target. Your neighbor is in for a bumpy ride.

During the seizure, there is little you can do to stop or shorten the seizure. What you *can do* is make sure they are as safe as possible while it's happening. They can't "swallow their tongue", that's just not possible. Making sure their airway is open is a good idea, during and after. For this, the recovery position is a good way to go. Lying on their side with their arms arranged so that the head's supported and the torso's kept from rolling forward, the upper leg bent to keep the lower body stable. Don't force them, don't let them thrash so that they hurt themselves. Don't put anything in their mouth. Stand by and wait for it to end. Our doctor told us (YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY) that unless the seizure lasts more than a minute or two by the clock, there was no need to call 911. This was helpful since SonofV had *a lot* of seizures. We eventually became less freaked out by them. I still clearly remember the terror I felt at the beginning though. Good job for you to help. Good man.