View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #18
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I darn socks. Yes, its true and I do have the pictures to prove it. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Thrift shops. Pawn shops. Borrow and trade. Hand me downs. Publicized elsewhere in the cellar are posts discussing my affinity for doing my own car maintenance. There's a certain pleasure in doing it myself, but there is a very definite economic benefit as well.

Buy in bulk. Example: Hershey's syrup. The 12 oz bottle is $2.79 and the 6 pound can is under six bucks. We learned the hard way that this doesn't apply to mayonnaise. Buy what's on sale: Hunt's spaghetti sauce occasionally goes on sale for $1/can. I get a bunch, then use them at my leisure.

Carpool.

Make my own stuff.

Around here is a store called Stupid Prices. They are kind of stupid, they sell **every**thing all mixed up. Clothes, electronics, some groceries, furniture, tools, notions, et-freakin-cetera. The prices are very very competitive. Recently replaced a dvd/vcr combo I killed (with fishtank water--please don't ask--sore subject) for $68 out the door. Panasonic, nice unit.