View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 04:33 AM   #8
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Why are hearing aids such a global racket?

Some while ago Dad responded to an ad which promised him miraculous hearing improvement.

I told him that there was great risk of being taken to the cleaners and asked him to think again before I posted the letter.

However, once he makes up his mind forces greater than me aren't able to persuade him to change it.

An appointment was made and a few days later the sales bod turned up parking his very expensive car on our drive.

A lengthy 'consultation' took place with a thorough explanation of the technology and a demonstration of the aids.

This was followed by casual mention of the price. £3000!

After Dad expressed his surprise (understatement alert) the sales bod mustered as much dignity as he was able and left.

ETA:

At the beginning of his spiel, the salesmen went to great lengths to stress that they weren't 'used car salesmen' (his words) and were regulated by a statutory body.

After he left, I did an internet search of the chap's name and found that he had been fined a considerable sum by the regulatory body for various irregularities.

A search of Companies House data revealed a string of compulsory liquidations he'd been involved in.

Caveat emptor.